As single mother of seven children ages 10 to 35, Carolyn Gable's rags to riches story seems impossible to believe.
As a waitress for over a decade, she honed her communication and interpersonal skills, yet she knew she was meant for something greater. Like many, she needed a little push. As a single mother of two small children, her push came in the form of the restaurant closing for renovations.
Forced to make ends meet, Carolyn walked into an employment office looking for a sales job. While she didn't immediately get what she wanted, she did get a job as a customer service representative at a freight company. After a year of dedicating herself to learning the industry, she was promoted to a sales position. A few years later, the freight industry became deregulated, and Carolyn was quick to realize an opportunity. Taking a risk, backed only by her positive attitude and commitment to her customers, she started her own company out of her townhouse in 1989.
Carolyn's creativity and enthusiasm have resulted in New Age Transportation, Distribution & Warehousing Inc., generating revenue in excess of $30 million this year.
Author of "Everything I Know as a CEO I Learned as a Waitress", her true passion is unlocking the potential in individuals, inspiring them to achieve personal and professional success.
- Leadership, Management
- Motivation, Inspiration
- Parenting, Family
- Entrepreneurs, Networking
- Customer Service
- Personal Empowerment/Mastery
- H.R., Talent Management
- Business - Strategy
- Carolyn is recipient of numerous awards for both her business acumen and charitable work, including: the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year awardin 2002, Enterprising Woman Magazine's Top Women Entrepreneurs in North America, Chicago Entrepreneur of the Year Award presented by the University of Illinois, Chicago, 2011 Women's Leadership Exchange, Chicago Conference, 2011
- Recognizing that a "new age is dawning in the trucking business," Ms. Gable developed innovative ways to lower costs, track freight, and offer excellent customer service. She started New Age in her home in 1989 and has grown the business to a $30+ million enterprise. Her 23 years of experience in the transportation industry include working with such clients as Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, McCormick & Co., Flavor Savor and Insight Communications.
- The financial hurdles of a single parent that juggles working and raising a family can quickly become overbearing. Carolyn's foundation, Expect A Miracle, provides relief from some of the daily challenges, allowing mothers to shift more of their energy towards the miracles in their own lives.
Key NotesFee Range: 5,000 to 10,000 USD Lives In: Lake Zurich, Illinois
- Carolyn's 'rags to riches' story was so touching, it brought tears to my eyes. But as she talked of sharing her success through the 'Expect a Miracle' Foundation, I felt my heart swell with pride in what this woman has accomplished and in my good fortune to hear her speak about it. She inspired me to bring the 'Expect a Miracle' Foundation project to my local chapter. Carolyn Gable is a woman to be admired for her dedication, generosity, and unselfishness." -- Geraldine Wood, Delta Kappa Gamma International, Chapter President
- Carolyn is a dynamic speaker who immediately grabs your attention. Carolyn's strong sense of purpose, energy, knowledge, and sense of humor keeps you captivated. She is very supportive of women from all walks of life and has proven to be a strong proponent for women in business. Whether in a small group setting or a large forum, Carolyn knows how to connect on a level that leaves you feeling inspired, motivated and confident. I highly recommend Carolyn for any speaking engagement." -- Andrea Ward, Harris Bank, Regional President