Dara Torres is arguably the fastest female swimmer in America. Since her first international swimming competition at age 14, Dara has competed in five Olympic Games winning a total of 12 Olympic medals in her career, including 4 Gold. Dara captured the hearts and minds of people of all ages when she launched her comeback as a new mother at the age of 41 – eight years since her last Olympics when she retired from competitive swimming.
The first female athlete to grace the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, Dara Torres has also appeared as a commentator on such networks as Fox News, ESPN and the Discovery Channel. Her memoir, Age is Just a Number: Achieve Your Dreams At Any Stage In Your Life, was published in April and was listed as one of the top 25 best-selling business books in the month of June 2009.
In 2009, Dara was named one of the Top Female Athletes of the decade by Sports Illustrated magazine. She also won the Best Comeback award at the 17th Annual ESPY Awards.
Olympian, author, mother, and role model, Dara Torres is many things to many people, but above all, she is an inspiration.
- Motivation, Inspiration
- Sports, Adventure
- Personal Empowerment/Mastery
- Competing on the international stage since the age of 14, Dara carried her success to the University of Florida where she earned the maximum 28 possible NCAA All-American swimming awards. At the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Dara won three Silver medals, two in the 4x100m Freestyle relay and 4x100 Medley relay, and one in the 50m Freestyle race (the highest medal she's ever won in an individual event).
- Dara is a 12-Time Olympic Medalist over five Olympics.
- She is the first swimmer from the United States to compete in 5 Olympics.
- She is the US record Holder in the 50m Freestyle.
- Dara was the ESPY Award recipient for Best Comeback in 2009.
- Outside of swimming, Dara has had great success as a TV commentator and a print model and was a feature correspondent for Good Morning America, worked on-air for ESPN, TNT and Fox News Channel including stints on NHL Cool Shots and Fox Sports Sunday
- Dara underwent knee surgery and rehabilitation in late 2009, CBS Early Show did a special on in December 2009. Currently she is working on her second fitness book to be released in summer 2010.
In Her Words
Key NotesFee Range: Contact Us Lives In: Coral Springs, Florida